Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Time Slips By

I never knew how fast time could go by when you have a kid, but it really does. I also now understand Mommy Guilt far better than I ever wanted to. In a typical day, I only get to spend about 3 hours with Guy, and most of that is spent trying to get him fed, bathed, changed or otherwise in activity that isn't about fun or snuggling, which is what I really want to do. Still, it's amazing getting to spend time with him at all, and he is growing and changing so fast, it's hard to keep up.

I've noticed that he's really starting to get a personality. He finds things funny out of the blue, like when I start making monkey sounds at him while changing his diaper. He cracked up like I was some sort of comedienne. So now, I spend a lot of my day making monkey sounds, just to try to replicate the smiles I got.


Eating is a new adventure every day. Guy loves to hold onto the spoon and "feed" himself. But really all that's happening is him smearing food all over his face and gagging on the spoon. It takes some doing to keep him from sticking the long pointy end down his throat. He's tried (and liked) the following foods: sweet potatoes, squash, peas, green beans, pears and carrots. We've tried puffs, too, but I'll post a video of that shortly. 


He's always trying to escape baby jail. 

Sleep is also improving. Most nights Guy goes down without much of a fight. We have a routine in place, which helps. It starts with dinner, followed by some play time. Then we change him into jammies. As gross as it sounds, he only gets a bath about once or twice a week, because it aggravates his eczema. His poor face is always bright red from it, and his arms and legs routinely get dry and bumpy. So, we're going for the au natural method. But really, other than his hands, face, and butt, the rest of him rarely gets that dirty. Plus, he smells delicious without any additives. But I might be biased. Please excuse me while I dream about snacking on his fat little legs...



We try to avoid TV, but the Ravens were in the Superbowl, and apparently he's a HUGE fan. Who knew?

ANYWAY, he sleeps through the night about half of the week. The other half he'll wake up once or twice, but will usually soothe himself back to sleep. During the day on the weekends he gets plenty of sleep in nap form, but at school he rarely sleeps more than a couple of hours total. It's been a real struggle trying to figure out how to get him to have more sleep during the day. There may be a come to Jesus moment with the daycare workers, I think. 

No, no. This shot wasn't set up. He totally sleeps with George, honest!

For the last week, I've done a lot of traveling. I went to Ohio for a wedding, came home for two days and then left again for work for another three days. Let me tell you, it was brutal. I missed him so much that it hurt by the time I got back on Friday. I may or may not have indulged him by letting him nap on me most of the weekend. It's just so nice to smell his little head and love on him for a while while he's sleeping.

I mean, really. Who WOULDN'T want to cuddle with that?

He's also been playing around with vocalizing lately. So there's been a lot of baby babble in my house. Though, he refuses to use any other consonant than G. There's a lot of "Gagagagaga" going on, but no Da's or Ma's or Pa's. I'm ready for some new tricks, son.

Greg is sleeping here, so I thought it would be funny to put a baby on him. 

That's about the extent of what's going on right now. Well, actually, I'm sure there's a lot more. But I'll try to tell you more about it all later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment