Saturday, July 21, 2012

Appointment Recap (Or the One In Which You Hear About My Hoohah)

We went to the first of our new weekly appointments on Friday. This was the first appointment where it wasn't just weight, blood pressure and a quick check-in with the doctor on my blood sugar. When we walked into the exam room, there was a swab kit waiting for us. Clearly, it was going to be a bit more... invasive than usual.

As I had surmised, I got the Group B Strep test done, so I'll be anxious to get the results on that. I'm really not excited about the prospect of having to be on IV antibiotics while I'm in the hospital for labor. I also got my first cervix check. And the lead-up to it is one of the reasons I love my doctor:

"We're going to check your cervix today," she said. "I'm sorry, but this is going to hurt a little. I used to tell people that it would be uncomfortable, but when I had my own kids, I realized I was just lying to everyone. It's way more than uncomfortable."

Truth in advertising. At least I was prepared beforehand. She told us that I'm at about 3 centimeters, 70% effaced and "nice and soft." Good to know she can tell how soft I am while her hand is shoved up to her elbow my hoohah. She also said that the baby is still a "little posterior." According to my infinite knowledge of baby stuff, I believe that means he's still got his little body turned facing out toward the world, rather than staring back at my pelvis. So, we're making progress already, but I could still easily make it to my due date.

Little Boy Blue will need to get himself situated in the next couple of weeks so that he's face down if he wants to come join us in the real world. At least, that's what he should do. But according to every August-born person I've met, he's going to be a Leo, and they're notoriously stubborn. Perfect. It'll be so easy raising a stubborn baby.

We go back again on Monday (I can't say that the schedulers at the doctor's office were real smart when they scheduled me two weekly appointments practically back to back), so I doubt much will change in the next three days. At least I'll get to practice my relaxation exercises again while the doctor feels around my kidneys during the cervix check. Ouch.

- Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment