Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Holding Pattern


Not much has changed over the last week. It feels like we’re now in a holding pattern. Everything is pretty much squared away at this point. The nursery is done. Childcare is worked out. We have a pediatrician. Hospital bags are packed. The car seat is installed in my car. Freezer meals are awaiting consumption. All we need is a baby.

Of course, I’m only at 35 weeks. After all the horror stories of going into labor 4-6 weeks early, I wanted everything to be ready well in advance. If I hadn’t done all this prep work, I’d probably be in labor as we speak. But since I’m ready, I will probably be one of those women, hobbling around at 42 weeks, doing everything I can possibly think of to make the baby pop out.

In the meantime, my ideas of what is “work appropriate” clothing is beginning to morph. Today, for instance, I’m in a maxi-dress. Something I never would have worn to work before being pregnant, because I think it’s a little too casual for work. But you know what? It fits over my belly, it’s really comfortable, it’s cool, and I just stopped caring about twenty minutes ago what I show up to work in. Maternity pants are practically out of the question, because I can’t stand the way the stretchy polyester belly panel itches. At home, if I’m not in a dress, I’m wearing truly awful maternity shorts that are too big for me and my shirts never quite meet the top of them, so there’s always about 2-3 inches of my belly hanging out for the world to see. I’m sure it’s really attractive.

That’s about all I know right now. Maybe in a few days, after our next appointment, I’ll have more exciting things to say.

- Jennifer 

No comments:

Post a Comment