Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Cramped Quarters

Yesterday we got a chance to see the baby again on ultrasound. It's been since we were at 20 weeks that we've had a chance to get a look at him in there. And it's definitely very different this time. At 20 weeks, we could see his whole little body. (Of course, it was only about the size of a banana then.) But this time, we could only glimpse portions at a time.

Still, we could see his stomach, a little black blob on the screen, filled with amniotic fluid he's been drinking. We saw his heart, with the four chambers clearly visible. He was head-up, and finally, finally I got an answer about what has been hurting me right under the right side of my rib cage. His little head has been hanging out up there, cramping my style if I slouch even the tiniest bit.

The best part was seeing his face (and the little foot that was hanging out right next to it, little contortionist). It was all squished and he looked distinctly like Greg peeking his head out from under the covers on a lazy Saturday morning. It was adorable. He was opening and closing his mouth, making sucking motions and breathing. He wriggled around a bit, making it hard for the ultrasound tech to get proper measurements.

We haven't heard from the doctor yet, but the tech told us he looks to be around 5 pounds 8 ounces (a very rough estimate, of course, considering they can't actually weigh him), and his head and chest were measuring at about 35 weeks. We're at 33 weeks, so I'm not sure if that changes anything from the doctor's perspective. It's strange, because I was told at my last appointment that I was measuring on the small side. So either he's just super cramped, or I'm not measuring as small as they think.

It was nice to see him again, and know that in less than 7 weeks, he'll be here. I guess we better go to the movies while we still can...

- Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment