Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sleepy Scare and Weighty Decisions

Last night I had the strangest experience.

First of all, you should know that I have temporary amnesia every time I wake up to feed the baby. It never fails. The first ten seconds when I wake up, I can't remember getting back into bed. Part of me wonders if I fell asleep and somehow sleepwalked back to the bed. But after a few seconds, everything starts coming back, and I remember putting Guy to bed, and whatever else followed.

So last night, this amnesia went to new heights. Greg must have rolled over slightly on top of my arm, because at some point, he rolled away. And my amnesia kicked in. Suddenly, I thought I was sitting in the rocking chair, feeding Guy, had fallen asleep, and Guy had just rolled out of my lap and to the floor. I scrabbled desperately for him, and sat up in bed. It took a couple of seconds before I realized where I was, and concluded that I hadn't just grievously injured my baby. My heart pounded for a good few minutes before I could settle down again. Thanks a lot, amnesia.

In other news I go back to work next week (!!), which is a little nerve wracking. But the worst part of it is that I can hardly fit into any if my clothes. So, in an effort to get back to (or close to) my previous shape, I've joined Weight Watchers, which specifically has a plan for nursing mothers. I'm two days in and it's already pretty hard. I've gotten so used to eating pretty much whatever I want. Which would be the problem. I guess my whole life I had looked so forward to being able to indulge during pregnancy, but the diabeetus put a stop to that. So I've gone a little crazy post-partem. Oops.

- Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. ha! Every time I wake up, I can't remember putting Izach to bed, and so I think that my pillow or arm (whatever I'm laying on at the moment) is the baby and I've been smothering him.

    Let me know if you figure out the daytime-crib-sleeping thing. I'm starting to worry about the same thing over here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking a battering ram approach right now. I figure if I just keep putting him down in his crib, eventually, he will sleep there. I've just got to stop giving in and putting him in the swing. So far, it's been a miserable two days, but I know it's got to improve. Right?

    ReplyDelete