Monday, October 1, 2012

Two Months - The Age of Head Control

I cannot believe that two months have already flown by with Guy. I'm down to only 3.5 weeks until I return to work, and I'm dreading it. The time with him is so precious, and I've enjoyed every minute. (Okay, maybe there have been a few unenjoyable minutes, but they were few and far between.)

Guy has changed so much since we brought him home. It's hard to imagine that the little peanut that was so tiny I had to tighten the carseat straps to their tightest is now the little boy we see exploring the world with his eyes.

He is so much more alert these days, looking at everything with wide, wondering eyes. He prefers to be facing outward as much as possible, and loves sitting in our laps with his face out to the world. When he's awake and you hold him up on your shoulder, he pushes away with his tiny arms and holds his head up to look around.

The head control is awesome! Of course, he still flops here and there (especially when tired), but for so much of the time now, he is holding his head up and looking around of his own volition. You can even lay him down and pull him up by his hands and his head will often stay in line with his shoulders, instead of flopping backward.

We've also come up with a great many nicknames for him including (but not limited to)

  • Little Guy (yes, obvious, but still cute)
  • Sweetness
  • Pumpkin Head
  • Snuggle Buns
  • Booger Face
  • Puddin Face
  • Tweet (Short for Tweetness)
I'm still waiting for the ones that will stick. Who knows what they'll end up being. I mean, Greg became Cheetah-Poo. Who would have predicted that? 

He smiles so much more now, and every one warms our hearts. I'd do just about anything to make him smile. 

Speaking of smiles, he elicits them right and left, especially from his grandparents. Both sets have been overjoyed with him, and have visited often. I'm thrilled with how involved everyone is. I didn't see my own grandparents that much when I was a kid, as they all lived 2+ hours away. Having Guy's grandparents so close is incredible. There are many days that around 6:00 p.m., one of our phones will ring, and it'll be "Gramps" (Greg's dad, Harvey) calling to ask if he can stop by for some Guy time on his way home. Cheri (AKA Gigi) says she can always tell when Harvey has stopped by, because he comes home in such a better mood. I even have to admit, holding a snuggly Guy is WAY better than Xanax. 

Have I mentioned the farting yet? Oh my gosh do I love baby farts. They're hilarious! They frighten the dog. Just now, asleep in his swing, he farted and the dog woke up from a deep sleep and looked accusingly over in Guy's direction. She's none too thrilled with his bodily functions. 

So, two months has been great. I'm excited for these last few weeks home with him, and terrified of going back to work and being separated from him so long every day. Luckily, the grandmothers have both agreed to watch him for a few days each, so I can start my exile with someone I know in charge of him. That way, if I'm having a truly terrible time, they can always bring him up to see me for a quick fix. Maybe I should rename him Crack. Yeah. THAT wouldn't get him teased AT ALL. 

- Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment